Friday, December 30, 2011

Raw Blue by Kirsty Eagar Review

Raw Blue Kirsty Eagar coverRaw Blue
By Kirsty Eagar

June 29, 2009
Penguin Books Australia, 274 pages
Source: Borrowed from Linds

Carly has dropped out of uni to spend her days surfing and her nights working as a cook in a Manly cafĂ©. Surfing is the one thing she loves doing … and the only thing that helps her stop thinking about what happened two years ago at schoolies week.

And then Carly meets Ryan, a local at the break, fresh out of jail. When Ryan learns the truth, Carly has to decide. Will she let the past bury her? Or can she let go of her anger and shame, and find the courage to be happy?


— Amazon.com description

If this book were a feeling, it’d be that feeling you get in your gut when you’re waiting for the other shoe to drop, for the monster to jump out from around the corner, for the giant sob you can just feel coming on.

Even thinking about it now, my stomach feels hallow, like I’m about to head down the drop in a rollercoaster.

Oh man, it’s good.

So Carly clearly has some tragedy in her past (think Speak by Laurie Halse Anderson) and she’s sad and lonesome and broken, but surfing and a boy named Ryan are helping her keep her head above water. The writing is gorgeous – it’s an ode to waves and fear and loss of power. The colors and scenery are stunning, and the Aussie lingo is exotic (to me in cold Chicago, anyway!) and fun to try to interpret.

I don’t know. I’m not doing it justice. Let’s just say that this is a stunning, WOW of a book.

Anna Reads young adult book blog

8 comments:

  1. Looks fabulous! Great review, thanks.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Okay, I need to get my hands on this book. All I've heard are great things about it. Why must it be an Australian book, thus making it more difficult to hunt down?! D:

    Thanks for the great review, Anna!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I can't wait to get my hands on this! Thanks for the great review!!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I read Raw Blue awhile back. (Tip: If anyone has an e-reader that takes epub, try Kobo! That's how I nabbed my copy) SUCH a great book. It needs to be published in the US.

    Amanda @ Letters Inside Out

    ReplyDelete
  5. I loved Raw Blue and I was so happy to read a book set in my hometown. I'm on an Aussie-author kick at the moment, so many good books to read ;)

    ReplyDelete
  6. I can't wait to read Raw Blue! It seems like all of my friends who have read it love it and, yo I trust you guys. Glad you loved Raw Blue too.

    ALSO I consider Aussie lingo exotic as well.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Oh my god, where was I when this originally went up? I'd have been tweeting it all over the place!!!!!! So sorry that I am late to the party, but what a lovely review. So happy Carly's story made you feel this way.

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...