Monday, January 9, 2012

Clockwork Prince by Cassandra Clare Review

clockwork prince by cassandra clare book coverClockwork Prince
By Cassandra Clare

Dec. 6, 2011
Margaret K. McElderry Books, 528 pages
Source: Purchased

In the magical underworld of Victorian London, Tessa Gray has at last found safety with the Shadowhunters. But that safety proves fleeting when rogue forces in the Clave plot to see her protector, Charlotte, replaced as head of the Institute. If Charlotte loses her position, Tessa will be out on the street—and easy prey for the mysterious Magister, who wants to use Tessa’s powers for his own dark ends.

With the help of the handsome, self-destructive Will and the fiercely devoted Jem, Tessa discovers that the Magister’s war on the Shadowhunters is deeply personal. He blames them for a long-ago tragedy that shattered his life. To unravel the secrets of the past, the trio journeys from mist-shrouded Yorkshire to a manor house that holds untold horrors, from the slums of London to an enchanted ballroom where Tessa discovers that the truth of her parentage is more sinister than she had imagined. When they encounter a clockwork demon bearing a warning for Will, they realize that the Magister himself knows their every move—and that one of their own has betrayed them.

Tessa finds her heart drawn more and more to Jem, though her longing for Will, despite his dark moods, continues to unsettle her. But something is changing in Will—the wall he has built around himself is crumbling. Could finding the Magister free Will from his secrets and give Tessa the answers about who she is and what she was born to do?

As their dangerous search for the Magister and the truth leads the friends into peril, Tessa learns that when love and lies are mixed, they can corrupt even the purest heart.


— Amazon.com description

Via Ginger

You may have seen my post last week about "The Problem with Trilogies." I'll sum it up like this: If only I could stop myself from reading book 2 in a series until the third book was out, I'd save myself from loads of heartache.

Because book 2 always ruins everything. It takes your hopes and dreams and turns them upside down and shocks and sends you into DESPAIR. But it sort of has to happen, no? Because if everything you wanted to happen went down in book 3, what would happen to in book 3? Exactly.

Anyway, it's all moot, because Cassie Clare is just so damn good, I couldn’t wait if I tried. When her books come out, it’s like a whisper starts up in the back of my brain, building up to a yell: “MUST. READ. NOWWWWW.” And then I can’t eat or sleep or breathe till I finish it.

Anyway…so clearly, as I just said, this book sent me into despair. I’m not going to spoil you and ruin it but OMG I am so upset. But yet I loved it. It makes no sense. I’m aware of that. I’m a complicated woman.

I'm also aware this review pretty much told you nothing, but let me just say this: Read this series. Wait if you’re more fragile than I am. TEAM WILL FOREVER. The end.

Anna Reads young adult book blog

16 comments:

  1. Lol. So true... Definitely Team Will =D

    ReplyDelete
  2. I know exactly what you mean, this book basically tore my feelings apart. I really like both Will and Jem so I'm not really on a side. I just hope that somehow they both get good endings.

    ReplyDelete
  3. 100% agree about wanting to wait until the third book comes out before reading the second. I re-read some passages with Will and he's growing on me (though not enough to overtake my love for Jem). :-P

    ReplyDelete
  4. I feel the same way you do! I was so heartbroken after reading this book and I can't wait until the next book comes out. Team Will! I cracked up over the picture by the way because that is how I felt after reading it.

    ReplyDelete
  5. There is no possible way I could wait & read this series until all the books were published. Though this second book totally wrecked me, it's what makes this whole reading experience that much better! I love it!!!

    PS - that is SO me in that graphic. I swear I did that when I finished this book, haha.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Book 2 is seriously always a bummer, and Clockwork Prince was no exception. I need Clockwork Princess STAT.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Yes, yes, yes, and yes. I was a mess at the end of this book. Will has my heart :)

    ReplyDelete
  8. I know exactly how you feel! And I'm totally Team Will too!

    ReplyDelete
  9. I completely agree!! This book was fabiolus! I loved it! And sure as hell, TEAM WILL FOREVER! I was actually crying in the end. I couldn't belive it! I still can't, honestly. But still, this was one of the best books I've ever read! I haven't sleep and eat either! :P

    ReplyDelete
  10. JEM! I love Will, but just once I want the always good guy to win. He who wouldn't normally win. This is probably because I have generally lousy taste in real life men, but still. Better late than never.

    ReplyDelete
  11. I really agree with you. Clare totally pumped things up with this sequel. And then tore your heart out while it was still beating. And you LIKE IT. *lol* I don't want to cry any harder for this series come the finale...

    - Asher (from Paranormal Indulgence)

    ReplyDelete
  12. Ahhh how can you even have a team? Both Jem and Will are so amazing and equally wonderful... and choosing either one would break the other's heart. :(

    ReplyDelete
  13. I agree with the last commenter, choosing is too hard! It's such a mess! But Jem reallllly grew on me this book, he is such a beautiful character!

    ReplyDelete
  14. That image from Ginger is so true! Especially when it comes to Cassie's characters. Great review! I'm so glad you loved it!

    ReplyDelete
  15. I was given a copy for Christmas and it's still sitting in my to-read pile mostly because I have library books to read before they're due but also because I don't know if I want to read it yet after reading comments about how sad it will make me.

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...