Monday, January 30, 2012

Good Books to Read in Book Club



It's Top 10 Tuesday (hosted at The Broke and the Bookish) and the topic is:

Top 10 Books That Would Make Good Book Club Picks


In the past year or so, my book club has read:

  • A Stolen Life by Jaycee Dugard
  • Gang Leader for a Day by Sudhir Venkatesh
  • The Girl Who Feel from the Sky by Heidi Durrow
  • Bossypants by Tina Fey
  • The Hunger Games by Suzanne Collins
  • The Leftovers by Tom Perrotta
  • Game of Thrones by George R.R. Martin
  • Miss Peregrine’s School for Peculiar Children by Ransom Riggs

Aaaand about a dozen or so others that I don't remember because I didn't really attempt to read them. What? You know you're guilty of this too!


The best discussion from all of the above? Hands down, The Hunger Games. We all read the book, and everyone brought friends to join in the discussion.

Why? I think because it was a book with a lot of buzz – something everyone could easily get their hands on and something we were all eager to read.

In my opinion, the key to a good book club selection is twofold: affordability and broad appeal. We try not to pick books that are only available in hardcover and we vote to narrow down the host’s selection to one monthly pick so we're all likely to be happy with the choice. Book club should not feel like homework!

A few books that I haven't read but am likely to put up for a vote next time I'm hosting wine book club…


Don't have a book club? Check out my post on how to set one up.

Anna Reads young adult book blog

18 comments:

  1. Ooh Between Shades of Gray would be a great one for discussion!

    ReplyDelete
  2. The Invention of Hugo Cabret is an amazing book, I loved reading it for a Children's Lit class last year, and I'm disappointed I missed the movie because of my time constraints last semester. I barely read Hunger Games myself (just finished Catching Fire last night in fact) and am definitely pushing friends to read for discussion of all the great aspects of the book. One book I'd add to your list would be Water For Elephants, I just read that a couple weeks back and it's so perfect for book club that it has book club discussion questions printed in the back already.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Oooh, the Wilder Life sounds so interesting. I devoured the Laura Ingells Wilder books when I was younger and a book about them and the woman behind them sounds so good.

    My book club picks.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I'll have to check out some of those - they look great!
    My Tuesday Memes post

    ReplyDelete
  5. The Hunger Games is the only book I talk about in real life...My husband read them and we have very different opinions on some of it so we have really heated discussions often. It's fun! :) Great picks!!
    My Top Ten Tuesday

    ReplyDelete
  6. I wish I'd put The Hunger Games on my list. I love those books. I did put The Invention of Hugo Cabret on my list though.

    Hangs down my favourite part of your post is the picture. I'm familiar with many a wine label but don't have the excuse of a book club! This Top 10 topic has definitely got me wishing I had a book club near me...

    My Top Ten

    ReplyDelete
  7. My cousin's book club just did Between Shades of Gray. I read Hugo Cabret for a grad class. Loved it. We watched all the old movie clips and read about that too. It's a really interesting read. Wonderstruck would be good too!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Lots I haven't read! I'll have to check them out! Love that sign! Here's our list http://marmaladelibby.blogspot.com/2012/01/top-10-tuesday-3.html

    ReplyDelete
  9. I didn't put THG on my list because it seems odd to give people only part of the story. THG is a great standalone, but it is part of a series, so I'd feel like you couldn't discuss it properly without reading Catching Fire and Mockingjay too...you know?

    ReplyDelete
  10. Looks like The Book Thief is popular!

    Here is my Top Ten. I hope you stop by!

    ReplyDelete
  11. The Book Thief was actually a book club pick for my book club and we all really enjoyed it. Tremendously powerful book. GREAT list. :)

    ReplyDelete
  12. The Book Thief would be so great to talk about. So thought provoking. I would love to set up my own book club, but most of my real life friends don't read. Like, at all. Sad times right?

    Great list!

    Here's my Top Ten

    ReplyDelete
  13. BETWEEN SHADES OF GRAY and THE BOOK THIEF!!!!!!!! YES. I love those two books. Intensely. Any book club would be lucky to read and share them together. And as an aside, I'd been telling 2 of my friends who are in a book club together that their club needed to read THG for YEARS. Literally, telling them for years. They resisted because it was "a kids book." Finally, they read it in November. And did they love it? Of course they did :)

    ReplyDelete
  14. The Leftovers is a wonderful addition to a club reading list. I had not thought to add it myself. Great list.

    -FABR Steph@FiveAlarmBookReviews
    My Top Ten...

    ReplyDelete
  15. Great list! I definitely think The Book Thief would be wesome for a book club, and The Wilder Life looks really cool. Mine is at YA Yeah Yeah if you'd like to take a look.

    ReplyDelete
  16. Amen! Book clubs shouldn't feel like homework! They're supposed to be fun. I would love to read Hunger Games with a group. I didn't really like The Leftovers, but it was interesting enough to read and I wouldn't mind talking to people about it.

    ReplyDelete
  17. I wonder if I could talk my book club into reading Hunger Games....I think it would be a great book for discussion.

    Here is my Top Ten Books I Think Would Make Great Book Club Picks. And I hope you will sign up for my February Giveaway! Win All Kinds of Kisses or a $25 Amazon gift card!

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...