By Lauren Oliver
Feb. 28, 2012
HarperCollins, 384 pages
I’m pushing aside the memory of my nightmare,
pushing aside thoughts of Alex,
pushing aside thoughts of Hana and my old school,
like Raven taught me to do.
The old life is dead.
But the old Lena is dead too.
I buried her.
I left her beyond a fence,
behind a wall of smoke and flame.
Lauren Oliver delivers an electrifying follow-up to her acclaimed New York Times bestseller, Delirium. This riveting, brilliant novel crackles with the fire of fierce defiance, forbidden romance, and the sparks of a revolution about to ignite.
— Amazon.com description
My Totally Spoiler-Free List of 4 Things You Should Know About Pandemonium, the Delirium Sequel:
Then again, it's Lauren Oliver, and we sort of love how she breaks our hearts, don't we? So what did you expect?
2. It's a lot more apocalypse-book-like than I anticipated.
Like, running in the woods. Stabbing things. Lots of blood and bruises. Starvation. BUT I LOVE THAT STUFF! Like, in fiction only. Don't worry.
3. The writing continues to be gorgeous.
Every line is so poetic and painful. It made me feel quite emo, but then again, isn't being emo what being a teenager is about? Because it was for me!!! Pink hair. It happened for a few days.
4. You know how at the end of Delirium you were totally left hanging off a cliff? Yeah...about that...
Huge cliffhanger. And don't be a douche and read the last line before you start the book. I mean, I may or may not have done that myself. But I'm not a good reading role model so don't try to be like me. BE STRONG. And if you are strong, at the last line you will be like "GOOD LORD WHAT ARE YOU DOING TO ME, LAUREN OLIVER!?!?!? I HATE IT BUT I LOVE IT!"
I'm so, so weak. I blame amor deliria nervosa. Symptoms of stage 2 and 3 are remarkably similar to how I felt after I read this book:
- periods of despair
- fixation; loss of other interests
- disruption of sleep patterns; insomnia or constant fatigue
- pain in the chest, throat, or stomach
- complete breakdown of rational faculties; erratic behavior; violent thoughts and fantasies; hallucinations and delusion
But I mean...don't let that last bit scare you away. EVEN IF IT IS TOTALLY TRUE.