Thursday, January 5, 2012

Spoiler-Free Review of Pandemonium by Lauren Oliver

Pandemonium
By Lauren Oliver

Feb. 28, 2012
HarperCollins, 384 pages
Source: Publisher

I’m pushing aside the memory of my nightmare,
pushing aside thoughts of Alex,
pushing aside thoughts of Hana and my old school,
push,
push,
push,
like Raven taught me to do.
The old life is dead.
But the old Lena is dead too.
I buried her.
I left her beyond a fence,
behind a wall of smoke and flame.
Lauren Oliver delivers an electrifying follow-up to her acclaimed New York Times bestseller, Delirium. This riveting, brilliant novel crackles with the fire of fierce defiance, forbidden romance, and the sparks of a revolution about to ignite.


— Amazon.com description

My Totally Spoiler-Free List of 4 Things You Should Know About Pandemoniumthe Delirium Sequel:

1. Your heart might break a little.
Then again, it's Lauren Oliver, and we sort of love how she breaks our hearts, don't we? So what did you expect?

2. It's a lot more apocalypse-book-like than I anticipated.
Like, running in the woods. Stabbing things. Lots of blood and bruises. Starvation. BUT I LOVE THAT STUFF! Like, in fiction only. Don't worry.

3. The writing continues to be gorgeous.
Every line is so poetic and painful. It made me feel quite emo, but then again, isn't being emo what being a teenager is about? Because it was for me!!! Pink hair. It happened for a few days.

4. You know how at the end of Delirium you were totally left hanging off a cliff? Yeah...about that...
Huge cliffhanger. And don't be a douche and read the last line before you start the book. I mean, I may or may not have done that myself. But I'm not a good reading role model so don't try to be like me. BE STRONG. And if you are strong, at the last line you will be like "GOOD LORD WHAT ARE YOU DOING TO ME, LAUREN OLIVER!?!?!? I HATE IT BUT I LOVE IT!"

I'm so, so weak. I blame amor deliria nervosa. Symptoms of stage 2 and 3 are remarkably similar to how I felt after I read this book:

- periods of despair
- fixation; loss of other interests
- disruption of sleep patterns; insomnia or constant fatigue
- pain in the chest, throat, or stomach
- complete breakdown of rational faculties; erratic behavior; violent thoughts and fantasies; hallucinations and delusion

But I mean...don't let that last bit scare you away. EVEN IF IT IS TOTALLY TRUE.

Anna Reads young adult book blog

11 comments:

  1. Great review, I am definitely looking forward to this book, only 6-ish weeks to go!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Love your review & thank u 4 not giving everything away! I've been scared 2 read any reviews b/c I don't want spoilers.

    ReplyDelete
  3. haha I love your review! Thanks for making it spoiler-free. After reading this a really can't wait to have it in my hands ^^

    ReplyDelete
  4. I never read the back first! If I read the last page I would never read the book.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I'm loving this review. I seriously can't wait for this book!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Oh my gosh, yes. I wasn't sure what to expect with this one, and I had heard from people who loved it and hated it. I'm sorry I ever doubted because I did absolutely adore it, even as it ripped my heart into little shreds. I didn't read the ending first, but I was still basically hyperventilating, even though I saw it coming. Gah, so freaking good!! Except now the wait for the 3rd book is even more brutal.

    ReplyDelete
  7. I am DYING over here! I have to wait to read Pandemonium and I have to say, I'm WORRIED. I've been worried since I finished Delirium. At least it's the good sort of pain, right? Right?

    ReplyDelete
  8. Oh wow! We really liked Delirium and are looking forward to this follow-up. Your review is making us even more excited.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Thank you for this review:) I can't wait to get my hands on this book, but it's nice to be able to hear a teensy bit of what's in store without having it spoiled. Nice job:)

    ReplyDelete
  10. I loved this book so much! I agree with everything you said! That ending....even though I kind of thought it was coming, it was still...just wow. It left me reeling. Now I can't wait for book 3!

    ReplyDelete
  11. Ha ha! I love how you use the symptoms of deliria to describe how you feel about the book.

    I have been avoiding these pandy reviews like the plague, but your title assured me of no spoilers, so here I am.

    I'm kinda nervous to have my heart broken again. I was practically bawling at the end of book 1.

    It's like a C-Section. It was tough, but I survived through one, and got something wonderful out of it.. If I was planning on another kid, I would do it all over again.. Just like I will buy Pandemonium and have my insides opened up again... because I know it will be great. *sigh* The things we do for books. lol

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...