Wednesday, January 4, 2012

The Top 5 Reason I Love John Green


Graphics by the lovely Ginger & Heidi

My girls Britney and Farrah at I Eat Words are hosting John Green Week this week, and heck if I wasn't going to join in to share the nerdfighter love. So, without further ado...

The Top 5 Reason I Love John Green

1. Footnotes and other fun things

As I mentioned in a post called "4 Totally Superficial Signs I'll Like a Book"...
Everyone loves being a part of the secret. And footnotes are like a cheeky little aside, a secret look into what the character is REALLY thinking. Granted, when a book is told in first-person you probably already know what the character is thinking, but footnotes make it seem more special to me. Like a funny insight the narrator is whispering just to me.
This is basically my favorite aspect of my favorite John Green book, An Abundance of Katherines. The graphs didn't hurt either. John Green shows us that stories can be told in endlessly creative ways.



2. Loved by his peers and moves his industry forward

I think it says a lot of person, their character and what they do for their industry if they are well-loved by their peers. And I know a love of YA authors who would say that John Green is an outspoken and eloquent advocate for all things YA literature. 

This includes David Levithan, his co-author on the excellent novel Will Grayson, Will Grayson and one of my personal favorite people ever that I'd like to force to be my friend.

Bonus Levithan love because I haven't met John Green yet (woe!)

Plus, with his vlogs and other Internet-goings-on, he makes reading FUN. The guy embraces the technology you need to reach teen readers these days.

3. Road trip/quest books

I love books with a destination or a mission (scavenger hunt!!!), and An Abundance of Katherines and Paper Towns are both tops on this front.


4. Chi-town represent!

A former Chicagoan, John Green still shows the love for my hometown -- including in the setting of Will Grayson, Will Grayson. 


5. Fan and brotherly love

I love how he interacts with his fans and how closely he works with his brother. Don't know what I'm talking about? Click here to read about how he signed EVERY SINGLE preordered copy of his new novel The Fault in Our Stars (out Jan. 10). And click here to see him work with his brother Hank on the VlogBrothers YouTube channel.

John & Hank Green
















There you have it: I love John Green. And you should too!

 Anna Reads young adult book blog

9 comments:

  1. John Green is just completely lovable! My first JG book was An Abundance of Katherines as well. :) Great post, Anna!

    ReplyDelete
  2. You know, I don't think there is another author that I admire as much as I admire him. Like, it's completely crazy!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Yes, yes, yes! To all of the above! Quirky = awesome :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. I just started An Abundance of Katherines the other day! Would have gotten to it a lot sooner had I known there was a road trip involved!

    ReplyDelete
  5. This is great! I just read An Abundance of Katherines so I could post about it this week and I really loved it!! Even though I hate math, ha! I love the quote that you included in the graphic too, great choice!

    ReplyDelete
  6. I'm loving the John Green Week! I'm participating over at my blog, too: The Mantis Connection.
    This is a great post! John is such a great writer, and he and his brother are so giving and funny! Are you going to the Tour de Nerdfighting? My friends and I are traveling out of state for it. I can't wait!

    ReplyDelete
  7. I LOOOOOVE An Abundance of Katherines. So very much. Mostly for the footnotes and the graphs and the extreme nerdiness.

    And also Hasan. LOVE.

    ReplyDelete
  8. I have put him in my nook to check out, I hadn't ever heard of him but am excited to find a new author~

    ReplyDelete
  9. David Levithan seems like SOOO long ago! And I think CPL needs to bring back John Green STAT.

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...