Thursday, February 2, 2012

Love & Leftovers by Sarah Tregay Review

Love and Leftovers Sarah Tregay book coverLove & Leftovers
By Sarah Tregay

Dec. 27, 2011
Katherine Tegen Books, 448 pages
Source: Publisher

My wish is to fall cranium over Converse in dizzy daydream-worthy love.

If only it were that easy.

Marcie has been dragged away from home for the summer—from Idaho to a family summerhouse in New Hampshire. She’s left behind her friends, a group of freaks and geeks called the Leftovers, including her emo-rocker boyfriend, and her father.

By the time Labor Day rolls around, Marcie suspects this “summer vacation” has become permanent. She has to start at a new school, and there she leaves behind her Leftover status when a cute boy brings her breakfast and a new romance heats up. But understanding love, especially when you’ve watched your parents’ affections end, is elusive. What does it feel like, really? Can you even know it until you’ve lost it?

Love & Leftovers is a beautifully written story of one girl’s journey navigating family, friends, and love, and a compelling and sexy read that teens will gobble up whole.


— Amazon.com description

Last year, I saw the light when it came to verse novels. Lisa Schroeder’s The Day Before won me over, through and through.

Tregay’s writing -- beautiful, easy-to-consume verse -- confirmed that. I sped through this book, loving everything from the formatting to the flow of this story told in poems.

Unfortunately, it was the story that made things a little rough for me. A slight spoiler here, thought it’s implied in the book description: There’s a bunch of lying and cheating. This is a hard subject matter for me to read about, just because it makes me SO ANGRY. So, for me, that was hard to get past. Those who don’t get that riled up will definitely react differently because I do think it was handled pretty well, and the romance was still quite sweet, despite all that nasty stuff.

Either way you look at it, this is just further confirmation for me that I should give verse novels a go, and I would definitely check out more books from Sarah Tregay in the future. Does anyone have any non-Ellen Hopkins* recommendations?

Anna Reads young adult book blog

* Not that I have anything against Ellen's or her books! They're just a little too issue-oriented for me.

13 comments:

  1. This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. AHHH! SPOILERS! I love comments but am going to delete to protect those who haven't read! Sorry! <3

      Delete
  2. ...my review for this book is up on our blog tomorrow. I absolutely adored it in so many ways & related in tons. Confession: I cheated on my boyfriend in high school. Pretty personal, I know. I'm not proud of what I did. But I'm pretty open with the fact that it happened because the situation taught me a lot about myself. So I did understand Marcie and her actions. And I don't want to make excuses for anyone but I could see why she did what she did. Anyway, that's just my POV. I don't tend to shy away from cheating in books. In fact, sometimes I feel like it's one of the more honest actions in YAs. Or any book for that matter. That being said, I didn't think Marcie's cheating was super central to the plot. There was so much else going on and she just couldn't handle all the change. She's probably one of my favorite characters I've met this year, actually.

    I love the idea of a book of verses. I would love to see more authors do it, but I fear that it may become overkill if it became a trend.

    I forsee rereading Love & Leftovers a bunch of times, for sure.

    ReplyDelete
  3. If you get any good recs let me know! I love me some Ellen Hopkins but I'd also like to read more lighter verse novels as well.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I wish I knew of more lighthearted verse novels. Most of the ones I've read dealt with heavy subject matter. I locw, love, love The Day Before.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I liked this one -although I didn't like the lying/cheating.

    Other Novels in Verse: Sonya Sones / Lisa Schroeder / some of Lisa Ann Sandell's work / Dead on a Town Line / Sold / On Pointe / Seeing Emily

    ReplyDelete
  6. But, ANNA, I don't really like verse novels. :(

    I really want to read this one and enjoy it, but there's just something about verse formatting that ticks me off. It's basically unexplainable. Still, this sounds like a way awesome story :)

    - Asher (from Paranormal Indulgence)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. But, ASHER, neither did I! But I was wrong!!!

      Delete
  7. Hi Anna - love your blog but I never comment b/c I usually just read quickly in google reader. I wanted to write today b/c I've also recently become a fan of novels in verse. Haven't read this book yet but, like you, I LOVED The Day Before. I've read Sonya Sones' books, too, which I like. But I also loved Shakespeare Bats Cleanup by Ron Koertge - definitely worth reading (there's a sequel, too).

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Shelly! I am so so so excited you came by the actual site today -- I love getting comments. And I'm super excited to be getting so many recommendations from everyone!

      Delete
  8. I echo the Sonya Sones recommendations! And Walter Dean Myers' Street Love is a FANTASTIC urban adaptation of Romeo and Juliet in verse!

    ReplyDelete
  9. I really liked Love And Leftovers, but can understand how the cheating and such would turn someone off.

    As for verse recommendations: Inside Out And Back Again by Thanhha Lai is middle grade, historical fiction about a refugee set during the Vietnam war. It's great and won the National Book award.

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...